smut smut smut smut smut smut smut smut smut smut smut smut smut

Monday, August 14, 2017

Movie Monday

With summer finally coming full on and there being a lot of hot, sunny days, I've been hibernating. I can't wait 'til fall and the cooler weather when I finally have energy again. So I've been watching a fair amount of movies. Only one at the theatre, the rest of have been at home.

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them

This was light, bright fun. I enjoyed it more than the Harry Potter movies (I'll be the first to admit, while I like Harry Potter okay, I am not huge fan.) Redmayne's character was sweet and fun, I admit, I had the bad guy sussed out almost from when we first saw him. The baker was a love. And how much did I enjoy all the fantastic beasts? There were definitely the best part of the move.

John Wick 2

I'd picked up the first one on Blu-Ray and watched and was pleasantly surprised. Yes, it was a shoot-em up action flick as I'd expected, but it was better than expected as well. There was a story (gotta love a guy who goes back into the life of an assassin when you mess with his dog), the cinematography is slick and lovely to watch and it never slows down on the fast pace. So, I picked up the second one, expecting more of the same, and I got it. In fact this one was possibly even more slick.

Logan

The X-men movies have always been hit and miss for me, with the best of them featuring Wolverine. This one was a little slow, and a lot sad. It was fairly good, but mostly I come away from it with sadness and I would have preferred it to end differently.

A Dog's Purpose

I wasn't sure about this one - a movie where the dog keeps dying and coming back in a new dog body? It was cute, though, more sweet than sad. I will say however, that the advertisements for this one, even the short ones, totally gave away the end of movie, which is why I usually don't watch the previews because it definitely adversely affected my enjoyment of the movie - I kept waiting for the scene I knew was coming, and I knew how it was going to end.

Warcraft

I went in expecting this to be a silly movie based on a game and I wasn't wrong. But as I wasn't expecting much, I enjoyed the movie well enough. Funnily enough it did not make me want to play the game, so in that aspect it was a fail.

Life

This one I had expectations for and that's a shame because I was disappointed. Part of it was because it was stupid. When I'm the one picking out the plot holes and the science impossibilities, you know you've got a problem. See, I am very good at suspending my disbelief and not allowing pesky things like how the universe really works to get in my way of watching a movie. But there were a lot of things that were just plain stupid just so they could advance the plot. Things that make even someone who doesn't pay that much attention to such things rolls their eyes and go 'right'.

It was also kind of slow. So it was badly done science fiction and badly done horror. They could have at least gotten one or the other right. Or at least tried to.

Point Break - the remake

The original movie had Patrick Swayze and Keanu Reeves, at their haydays, in it. It was a terrible movie, but it had Patrick Swayze and Keanu Reeves in it - 'nuff said.

So the remake had neither of those two in it, nor their counterpoints (for instance if it had starred Chris Helmsworth and Chris Evans I would have been totally happy). The cinematography was stunning, I will give this movie that. The most distracting thing was that the guy playing the Keanu character was like Keanu in mannerisms and sounded just enough like Keanu that it was totally distracting. I kept expecting to see Keanu playing the role.

Atomic Blonde

Saw this one in the theatre. I have to tell you that any movie that starts out with David Bowie's gasoline can't be all bad. And this one wasn't bad at all. Set in the year the Berlin Wall came down, and using that as the backdrop, they picked some great music from the era. And I loved having a kick-ass woman as the hero of this story. The fights were very gritty and realistic. When people got hit, they grunted and groaned and it had an effect on them. They got knocked down and it took a little bit for them to come back up for more. That was very refreshing. But I have to say that for an action flick, this one was kind of slow in a lot of places. Also, they were building it as a James Bond type flick, with a female James Bond, and it wasn't that. So good, but it could have been a lot better. Also, there were a few plot holes and several threads that they just left there without resolving, which is always frustrating.

Closet Monster

I liked this movie, but it was a downer, too. I would have liked it to have had a brighter outlook. Especially as it started out with this really neat relationship between the boy and his father. It went downhill for them fast, though, and that was before he came out to his father. But it's always neat to see a movie set in Canada. It was well-written and well-acted.

Cooties

OMG, this was hilarious. I caught the blurb for this on TMN (the movie network here in Canada) and thought it had potential so I taped it. A bit later I got around to watching it and it was unexpectedly hilarious. Elijah Woods was in it and it included several nods to Lord of the Rings, but really it was mostly just funny on its own merits.


So this was my summer movie-ing so far.


Sean
smut fixes evyerhing

No comments:

Post a Comment